1475 Padawans
93 Masters
rashikathebookowl

Rashika, The Book Owl

So so so cute and full of win

The Imaginary - A.F. Harrold, Emily Gravett

***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

This is such a heartfelt book that is bound to make you feel all mushy and warm inside. If you, like me, were an avid watcher for Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends, I think this book will be right up your alley and will probably have you flipping through the pages as fast as I was flipping through them. The only real disappointment I had while reading this book was that I read an e-arc so that meant I couldn’t experience the gorgeous drawings in this book in all their glory.

I haz so many feels from reading this book and I am not even sure where to start experessing them. For starters, you should know, this book can be surprisingly dark considering the fact that it’s meant for children.

This book is actually more focused on Rudger, the imaginary friend, than Amanda and I thought that was interesting. It’s about what happens when he gets separated from his human and the evil imaginary friend eating monster he has to deal with. I though Rudger was a fantastic character even if he did make that one incredibly questionable decision (which he owned up to a minute later so I couldn’t help but forgive him) and I just loved him so much. He is so sweet and adorable and you just want to hug him.

Amanda may have become a secondary character in this book but I still adored her. She may have been annoying at times but she was a child and children tend to be self centered. It’s funny because she never really acknowledges that she was wrong but you know that she knows and you know that she has grown by the end of the book and that’s enough. She is a funny, witty character and you can see why she and Rudger are best friends.

This is the kind of book where there is a chance that the parent will be awful but Amanda’s mom aka Fridge’s Lizzie (you’ll get that reference when you read the book), is a great parent. She knows that Amanda has an imaginary friend but her first instinct isn’t to take her to the psychiatrist. When she was worried, she called her mom and she drew her own conclusions based on the fact that it didn’t seem to be affecting her daughter negatively and decided to play along (although Amanda does know that Rudger isn't real).

This book has it’s villain and boy was the villain a jerk faced jerk.  Mr. Bunting eats imaginary friends because that helps sustain him and now he’s after Rudger.  DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN. It’s not surprising how all of this turns out but at the same time, the author had me worried for a while there!

I absolutely adore this book and if you’re looking for a fun children’s book, I wouldn’t hesitate to push it at you *pushes the book at you* (I am a serial pusher). So go readdd this amazingness, it’s WORTH IT.