1478 Padawans
94 Masters
rashikathebookowl

Rashika, The Book Owl

Cute but it could have been way better

Anyone But Ivy Pocket - Caleb Krisp

***This mini-review has also been posted on The Social Potato

I am not sure whether this book is absolutely brilliant or a pain in the ass. Ivy Pocket reads a little like Amelia Bedelia (who just happens to be one of my favorite characters ever) and that brings up the question of whether this book was supposed to be a satirical or if we’re actually supposed to take Ivy Pocket seriously.

I am going to go with the former because if the latter were true, I’d have some serious issues with the book.

Ivy Pocket is a fun adorable character who has a tendency to trust the wrong people, say the wrong things and can be pretty insensitive. Yet she, for all those same reasons, is so fun to read about. It’s so fun to see her say the most absurd things to people so casually, not even realizing the affect her words have on people. But there is more to Ivy Pocket than this seemingly shallow person. She is after all, an orphan, and has a tendency to lie to herself to make herself not feel as let down about her situation in life. It’s also really adorable how she’ll exaggerates and then indirectly admits she was exaggerating. Her voice is incredibly refreshing and really made this book a cute book to read.

Most of my problems actually arise as a result of Ivy’s flaws though. She can be so dense and so unwilling to see the obvious and because of this I felt like her characteristics were the main things driving the plot.What could have been wrapped up quickly was dragged out and what should have been focused on longer (certain explanations towards the end of the novel) was cut short.

All in all, this was a cute and fun book to read but if there had been more explanations and less dancing around the truth, I would have enjoyed the book a whole lot more.