1478 Padawans

Rashika, The Book Owl

Disappointing

Don't Stay Up Late: A Fear Street Novel - R.L. Stine

***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

This was my first foray into R.L. Stine’s works and unfortunately, it wasn’t a very successful one. I feel like ‘it’s so bad it’s good’ would be applicable here but at the same time, my biggest problem with the book was not the story itself but the writing style.

The writing style just didn’t work for me. It wasn’t even that it was childish, it was just that it never seemed to flow. I never felt like I was reading a story, it was more like something that was just a summary of what actually happened. I never felt like I was ‘in’ the moment. I always felt like I was an observer, merely seeing what happened instead of feeling it or experiencing it.

The story line was also a little awkward but given that I continue to read it instead of DNFing it, I didn’t mind it as much. It was also addictive because even though I didn't really like the writing style, my eyes were still glued the pages. It kind of reminded me of a cheesy old horror movie (but since I haven’t really watched any, don’t take my word for that). It was entertaining and actually kind of amusing (not sure if it was meant to be amusing).

I will not say that I hated the book, because I didn’t, it just seemed incomplete to me and I wish there was more substance to it, and the writing so I didn’t feel like I was just reading a summary of what was happening.

If you are a fan of the author, I would definitely say to give the book a shot but if you, like me, are a newbie, I'd say it's probably better if you start somewhere else.