1478 Padawans

Rashika, The Book Owl

great if a little slow

Alias Hook - Lisa Jensen

***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

Alias Hook has gotten so much praise and given everything I had heard, I was curious about this book and wondered if it would live up to the praise it had received. I am not a hundred percent sure it did. Don’t get me wrong, I loved this book, but I also struggled with it which is why I cannot say it’s the best book I’ve ever read.

Alias Hook starts off painfully slow. The writing style was pretty but I didn’t get sucked in by it. It just seemed prose-y to me and made my reading experience excruciating. To add to that, the pacing was slow so while I liked the setting and I liked what the author was doing with the world building, I couldn’t really get into the book until half way through. To add to that, because the writing wasn’t working for me, I couldn’t really picture some of the more imaginative things in the novel.

Once I hit that half way mark though, I was sucked in by the book. That was when things turned around. Maybe at that point I got used to the writing and was able to appreciate the book but whatever the case, after that halfway mark, this book just became infinitely better for me.

Captain Hook is a character I won’t be forgetting any time soon. The author takes her time developing him and it shows. The details which have gone into showing us what made Captain Hook the person he is today are evident. He is a fantastic character and one I loved reading about. Jensen’s original take on his character made me excited and it was so easy to sympathize with him. Moreover, I just loved the development he underwent over the course of the book. At the beginning of the book, I sympathized with him even if I didn’t like him (Pan is SCARY) but by the end of the book, I loved him. He is such a sweetheart. Can you imagine that word being used to describe Hook? It works in this case though. He is smart, a little rough around the edges but really a great guy underneath all of that.

His supporting lady was equally awesome. Stella is a fantastic character who isn’t just casted as a romantic interest but rather a person. She gets a back story too, we get to know her better and even she undergoes some development. There were some things about her past revealed that did weird me out a little but sometimes you just got to role with it. I love how loyal she was to Hook and I love that she is also smart in her own right (and a little history nerd!).

The romance between the two (*gasp* Hook in love? What’s next, Hook on Ice?) is beautifully done. I don’t lie when I say it’s one of the best ones I’ve read this year. It’s so heartfelt and it’s developed so beautifully. You cannot help but want to ship these two damaged characters!

My biggest problem with the plot, as I mentioned earlier, was the pacing. I was bored out of my mind for a good chunk of the book, but on the other hand, I cannot help but want to give this book credit for its rather original take on the Peter Pan fairy tale. Whoever said young boys who live forever cannot be scary? (In fact who said they aren’t??) There are elements to the way the plot is laid out that will make you want to high five the author.I’d say, even with my issues, that the author does do justice to the fairy tale and brings it to life in a completely different but fascinating way.

The ending is the one thing I am of two minds about. On one hand, I loved it! On the other hand, I wondered about the way we got no explanations about certain things. I don’t think I’d say the ending was rushed or anything, I just think more time could have been spent on it to show the readers how things worked out.

This is a very compelling re-telling of Peter Pan and it is one I would definitely recommend but with a note of caution in regards to the slowness of the first half of the book. I was not thoroughly enchanted by this one as many readers were but I finished the book with a giant smile on my face and what else can you ask for?