1478 Padawans

Rashika, The Book Owl

Between the Lives

Between the Lives - Jessica Shirvington

Actual Rating 3.5

After being disappointed by Just like Fate, I decided to pick up Between the Lives which had a similar concept. I was hoping to prove (to myself) that books that are based on this concept didn't all have to turn out bad, and I was right. This book provided me with a very interesting journey, and I was all set to give it a four until the last couple pages.

I am going to start off by saying that while the main character wasn't always likeable, she had a strong voice. Sometimes it just bothered me that she didn't think at all about her other family. She loved them but she kept trying to find an easy way out. I understand why, I do, but that didn't stop me from being frustrated.

This story starts with the main character falling down the subway stairs and breaking her wrist. When she 'shifts' to her other life, it turns out that her wrist isn't broken. So are the rules changing? She wants a normal life, which is understandable, and so this was kind of a breakthrough for her, a way out of this whole situation and so she starts experimenting. When her parents find out, she decided to confess, which of course leads them into thinking that she is crazy.

Even with how things turned out when she confined in her parents, I was glad she did because it proves that she really wants someone to believe her and to help her.

Moving on to her parents. The author did a great job with them. There were two sets of them and each of the sets came with their flaws and their plus points, but more than that the author took some time to develop the parents as well. Her dad from her Roxbury life initially comes across as a bad guy but by the end of the book, I didn't hate him.

I really did like the development in her relationship with her brothers in her Wellesley life. At first I really did not like how the author rolled them out but there was more to them and being the older sibling, I can understand in some ways (I am not justifying their actions here just saying I understand).

Her friends, though they didn't play such a significant part, were not actually just flat characters. They seemed to care about her and always asked when they thought something was wrong. One would assume that in her perfect life, her friends would be completely shallow but they weren't, which I was glad for.

Now to Ethan… Ethan.. was just..he was definitely one of the better love interests I’ve read about. I’ll admit to initially thinking things were moving too fast between them but I overlooked it because the author did take the time to develop their friendship before she did anything else.

My first problem arises with the science aspect behind what was happening to her. I am going to go out on a limb here and compare this book with Every Day. While the latter was strictly a contemporary book, there was still this need in A (the main character) to find out why he/she was the way he/she was. Sabine on the other hand, just wanted a way out and that disappointed me because there wasn’t a lot of exploration into why she was the way she was. As a science geek I really would have liked that.

However my main problem with this book was the last couple of pages. Now I cannot say what happened but the event just seemed to come out of nowhere. I didn't think it was necessary. On top of that what happened right at the end was just plain cheesy. It just seemed like the easy way out. The author could have left the book with an open ending and that would have been a whole lot better.

On the whole, despite the ending that bothered the hell out of me, I would definitely recommend this.