1478 Padawans

Rashika, The Book Owl

Skylark

Skylark -

Actual rating 3.5

I am not sure why I finally decided to read this one. There were mixed reviews about it and so after a while I finally decided to read it. I should say this first before going on. Initially after finishing the book I really did like it and gave it 4.5 stars… now I’d rather give it 3.5.

The mixed reviews made me lower my expectations for this book by a lot and I had this book on my shelf for quite a while before I finally gave in and read it. I was actually amazed by how much I liked it. I think it was the last few chapters that really made me like this book. That’s where some action and kickass stuff occurs. I loved the mix of fantasy and sci-fic in this. I wasn’t sure it would work because you know sci-fic and fantasy seem so different from each other but the author managed to pull it off. Meagan had so many neat things in the world building it makes me smile like a geek just thinking about it (like how iron is an insulator of magic.. that was genius). A lot of the stuff appealed to my geek side and I don’t think I had a lot of problems with the world building.

There were many things that could be appreciated about the main character. She isn't a stupid girl falling for any guy. This book ISN’T in fact a romance, it’s about a girl on a journey to find her brother and escape her old home who she knows is no longer safe. The little romance present, as I have said, is only hinted at and developed very slowly. He is a random stranger who she would like to know but then again she cannot trust him openly she doesn’t know him well enough to do that. She doesn’t know what she is dealing with but she doesn’t want to depend on anyone because she doesn’t know who the enemy is. But slowly she grows to like Oren and becomes close to him. The thing that bothered me however was that I didn’t feel like I could relate to her, there was this distance of sorts between me and her and that’s one of the reasons I cannot this book a higher rating. This distance made me unable to connect with the book as much as I would have liked to.
One of the other things I appreciate about her is she always aware of the danger around her, including with Oren, I won’t spoil anything but yeah.

Oh and Oren. I am rather fond of him. He isn’t your usual Mr.Iamdarkandmysterious, he has issues that we don’t know about because he doesn’t remember a lot of his life (we find out why later). I really like how loyal he is. I think it’s his confusion that appeals to me. Despite everything, he is still trying to protect Lark, even when they two don’t get along.

I hope in the next book we find a lot more about his life before this and I really do hope he is in the next book or I would miss him a lot.

As for Nix.. I am in love with that Pixie. "It" is awesome beyond words. It was a loyal pixie and well I don’t have words for Nix. You gotta read all about him on your own.

I cannot wait for the sequel and I know after reading this that These Broken Stars is going to be awesome as well. I cannot wait till both books are published.