1475 Padawans

Rashika, The Book Owl

Midnight Frost

Midnight Frost -

Actual Rating 3.5 stars

I was pretty excited to read this book and well I may have been somewhat disappointed. This book is good, don’t get me wrong, but it doesn’t even come close to measuring up to the awesomeness of Crimson Frost or even Dark Frost.

The one thing I love about this series is that even though some of the characters can come off as clichés, you love them; you just cannot not love them. They are all well developed and they all have some role, be it big or small, they aren’t there just for the sake of it. For starters, Gwen actually has great friends, she isn’t popular or anything and doesn’t really have that many but they are always there for her and stand up for her. She also has a talking sword which I am not sure counts as a friend but makes for an awesome character (and my favorite as well).

Gwen is a great female lead herself. I always enjoy being in her head because she is such a strong character. She isn’t a particularly skilled or strong fighter but she is determined and that’s why she makes such a good fighter. It really was amazing to see how far along she has come from the first book. From being confused about what she had to do, she is determined and tries to find a way. I also like how she actually considers other people’s opinions even if she doesn’t agree. She also makes good decisions and tries to reason things out. What’s not to love about her?

I was glad we finally got to learn more about Gwen’s dad in this installment. He has always been a bit of a mystery to me and sometimes I wondered if he even existed. It was a relief to learn about who he was and I must say, I was surprised, that possibility never popped into my head.

One of the things that really bugged me in this book was the idea of Nickamedes and Metis getting together. I love both of the characters but the idea of them getting together bothers me. I know my annoyance is kind of childish but to me it just makes things too perfect.

The other thing I did not like was the lack of Logan (this is just me being a fangirl). I have read Spartan Frost so I know what’s going on with him and I am not pissed at him, it’s just that throughout most of the book I was waiting for Logan to appear. I wanted Gwen and Logan to talk things through because they are a great couple, they should be able to get over this hurdle.

I don’t think I noticed this in the other books but in this one, I was surprised by how much talking there was before the battle. I kept on screaming for them to fight and kill the reapers while they were distracted but that didn’t happen.

I get the feeling that this book is acting as a bridge between this one and the last one, because the plot, in all honesty just wasn’t that interesting compared to the ones in the previous books. That is not to say I didn’t enjoy it, I did, but I was hoping for a lot more.

This ending is great and wraps the book up nicely but all I can think about is the next book. I long for it and I wish I didn’t have to wait until next year.

(if there are any errors forgive me, I may have been slightly hurried with writing this)

This review has also been posted on my blog

Initial Reading
oh it's over?
I'll admit to not liking this one as much as crimson frost but who cares.. I cannot believe I am already done.
Now I have to wait until NEXT year till the last book which is going to be a freaking blast. I just know it.