1478 Padawans
rashikathebookowl

Rashika, The Book Owl

Bang by Lisa McMann

Bang - Lisa McMann

Lisa McMann has officially become one of my favorite authors.

I read her Dream Catchers series (not the last book because apparently it was disappointing) last year and fell in love with her unique writing style and the way she could create characters that I just loved. When I found out she had a new book at the beginning of this year I became really excited and read it as soon as I could. I loved Crash and Lisa didn’t disappoint with the sequel, Bang.

I got approved for this earlier this year but I waited a long time to read it because I didn’t want to have an enormously long wait for the next book in the series.

I actually have no idea where to start with this review, there are so many things I could talk about and I cannot seem to be able to put my feelings down on paper. I really do hope this review is at least coherent.

As I mentioned before, Lisa writes the most amazing characters. You cannot help but become involved in their lives and eventually fall in love with them. I think this is one of the few books with somewhat bad parents that I don’t mind because Lisa presents them in such a way that you cannot really resent them (except Sawyer’s parents… them I do not like but I’ll get back to them later). Jules’ father is a very interesting character. At the end of the last book we found out his big secret. It actually helped me understand him better. I just couldn’t seem to dislike him in this book. I just wish we got to learn more about him. I feel like he could be a great parent once he gets over his own guilt. Jules’ mother is an equally complicated character and I feel for her. She is stuck in a mess where her children don’t understand her (it’s complicated) and she doesn’t really have anyone to support her and tell her it’s okay to take a break once in a while.

Now to Sawyer’s family. I really do not understand them, this is probably because they author didn’t spend too much time talking about them but I am curious as to why they are such assholes. Why they treat Sawyer the way they do and why the hell they would abuse their own child because of someone else.

I am not going to spend a lot of time talking about the other characters because we all know about how awesome they were from the previous book, but I just want to say that I am just so happy that Lisa can write teens that are relateable, they act like real teens yet they are smart. They all come with their set of insecurities but they work together in such a way that you just want to hug them and tell them how proud you are. I also love how none of them actually want to be heroes that go out and save the world, they don’t want to be dumped with this responsibility, but they do it anyway because they have to. I am also glad that Lisa didn’t create a cliché for Trey’s character (since he is gay).

The relationships are pretty strong too. Like the one between the three siblings? Golden. They help each other out but they also act like real siblings. They aren’t all lovey dovey. They love to mess with each other (and manipulate ;)).

The one relationship that I was looking forward to seeing more of was Sawyer and Jules’. I mean they just got together at the end of the last book. I’ll admit to being a tad bit disappointed (for reasons I don’t fully comprehend), I mean they had a great relationship but something seemed to be missing. They were supportive and their worlds’ didn’t completely revolve around each other. Their relationship wasn’t completely based on love or lust but a mix of both and I was glad for that because it seemed like a realistic teenage relationship. As for the relationships between parents, they are a little iffy but I am pretty sure we’ll see more development there in the next books.

One thing that did manage to surprise me was the fact that I wasn’t very curious about the science behind the visions. I am curious being and I tend to question things a lot and the fact that I didn’t really question this speaks for how captivating the plot of the book was. I love how they break down details from the visions and try to piece together the clues. It’s really entertaining to see the whole thing unfold and then the actual scene, those always make my heart beat a little (a lot) faster.

This book was a great sequel and I am glad it didn’t disappoint. I definitely recommend this to the fans and if you haven’t read the first book? What the hell are you waiting for? GO READ IT! I command you to.

This review has also been posted on my blog