1478 Padawans

Rashika, The Book Owl

Once Upon a Time There was You

Once Upon a Time, There Was You - Elizabeth Berg

This (non) review contains spoilers

You know what the sad thing is? If it weren't for that ending I am pretty sure I would have given this book a 4 (or 3).

Yes I realize that an ending shouldn't affect my rating by such a large amount but it does. It does because for starters I was looking for a feel-good book, not one that would crush my heart into little pieces (let me say that the ending isn't actually sad, more like bitter sweet). The author had me so (slight exaggeration) emotionally invested in Irene and it sucks that Irene doesn't get the happy ending she deserves. It sucks that the author ended the book that way when I thought it would be heading in a completely different direction. It doesn't make sense at all. I really wish I could go back and unread this book because it's causing me so much pain right now.

If Irene wasn't annoying enough (I still preferred her), I really didn't like Saddie. She was meant to come off as a wise soul I am guessing but that didn't work well because some of the things she did were completely selfish. John was just very flat and I really did not care about him.

My point is that had the ending been different I might have overlooked the characters or had a different take on them but because the book ended the way it did, I don't.

I don't know what to say at this point. I am just so pissed at the ending and disappointed and somewhat heartbroken (but mostly angry). I just want a good book and forget that I ever read this.