1465 Padawans
rashikathebookowl

Rashika, The Book Owl

Promise Me This by Sarah Ashley Jones

Promise Me This - Sarah Ashley Jones

There are many novels out there that read along the same lines as Promise Me This so one cannot expect much except hope for the book to be a fun read, which it was.

I think I’ll start with things that didn’t work and then I’ll go onto the things that did.

I don’t expect much from tragedies in general (of course there are a few exceptions) and this one wasn’t that much different. This book doesn’t focus on the loss of a loved one in a way that satisfies me. It is more focused on the romance than it is on healing. There are a few mentions of Cameron but I feel like they are forced or they serve as a way as a reminder of the fact that the characters lost someone they loved.

The parents aren’t particularly great in this book. The father does become better but it doesn’t excuse the fact that he wasn’t a particularly good parent. The mother is awful. I hate it when parents are portrayed in such manner. I love supportive parents. I know not all parents are nice and supportive but the portrayal of Charlie’s parents rings false for me.

It isn’t only Charlie’s family that was awful; Jhett’s sister Gracie was equally horrendous. Her actions did not make sense to me. Not that there isn’t a reason given but you know he is your BROTHER. Doesn’t family mean anything to her? I also hate how she acts with Charlie. If you really loved Cameron you wouldn’t do that to his twin sister. I don’t feel the least bit sorry for Gracie. She wants us to feel sorry for her but really Charlie’s loss is greater than hers. Charlie knew Cameron her entire life but Gracie had only known him for 2 years. Now I am not saying that Gracie’s loss is insignificant but to lose someone you have known your entire life hurts a lot more.

There is this part in the book where Jhett says that Charlie isn’t like most girls. Now that sets off my alarms. What do you mean most girls? Most girls I know are actually pretty decent so I don’t know what ‘most girls’ refers to here unless it’s a stereotype (which I know it is); in that case I am offended.

I may or may not have also been bothered by the fact that almost everyone in this book is hot. I don’t understand the need to make characters hot in general. The fact they are hot doesn’t mean we will like them better. What I want is a good character; I’d like to know what they look, but for me it doesn’t matter whether they are hot or not. Personally I find that characters are more relateable if they aren’t model gorgeous.

One of the things I really enjoyed about this book was Jhett. I didn’t expect much from him when he was introduced because he was a walking stereotype complete with the tattoos, the fact that he played the guitar and also sang (secretly), but then he gave a ride home to Charlie on his bicycle. That’s right not his motorbike, his bicycle. That was gold. Jhett also happens to be a chef. Now I am sure some people won’t really be moved by that fact but for someone who loves food that appeals to me.

Charlie wasn’t that bad of a character either. She wasn’t completely naïve and she didn’t beat around the bush, she knew what she wanted and that was that.

Their relationship was well developed, yes Jhett was obviously keeping a secret because he was afraid to tell Charlie but aside from that they worked pretty well. I don’t get the insta-love(lust) vibes from their relationship either. Jhett may have been too easily fascinated by Charlie but since he knows so much about her already it makes sense. The highlight of their relationship was near the end, it was Charlie that made me proud during that moment.

This book was an entertaining read and I would recommend it for anyone looking to cool down or anyone who just wants something light.

This review has also been published on my Blog