1478 Padawans

Rashika, The Book Owl

Could have been WAYYY better

Lost - Laura K. Curtis

***This mini-review has also been posted on The Social Potato

When I started reading this book I had no idea that it was actually a sequel, but I am assuming both books can be read as stand alone since they feature different characters and I didn’t have many problems jumping right into this.

I think the biggest faults this book had were the characters and the romance. The mystery in itself was pretty decent, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to say it was unique or anything. I definitely had lots of fun and it was interesting to see how things would turn out. The romance and the characters, however, fell short in comparison.

Tara Jean followed her friend to the Chosen, a cult, when her friend failed to remain in touch and while on the surface it seemed harmless, the leaders of the Chosen were definitely hiding secrets. Tara is an ex-cop, but the problem I have with her is that I really cannot tell that she was one. She seems to need saving and I find that a bit contradicting of the fact that she was an ex-cop.  That aside, I also feel like she was missing a certain depth and the same could be said for Jake. I don’t know enough about these two and that’s where the problem lies. Perhaps character development occurred in the previous book, but then again these two were secondary characters in it so I doubt that. I feel like I know all these facts about the two of them, but they don’t add into something bigger. They don’t make these characters come to life for me.

The romance is insta-love based on insta-attraction. Of course, these two interacted with each other before in the previous book and both admit to having been interested, but they also didn’t get to know each other until this book happened. So over the course of just a few weeks (2 at most I think), they fall in love and if that isn’t insta-love, I don’t know what is. It would be more believable if perhaps both the characters actually got to spend time with each other as themselves, but they didn’t (they were undercover) which just adds more to the unbelievable factor of their romance.

The mystery was pretty fun. That’s pretty much all I have to say, because while I can find some faults, at the heart of it, it was pretty fun to read about even if it wasn’t particularly memorable.

All in all, this is a pretty quick read and it was thoroughly entertaining. I’d still recommend it to fans of romantic suspense that aren’t looking for something particularly elaborate but just want a quick fun read.