1478 Padawans

Rashika, The Book Owl

Sanctum by Sarah Fine

Sanctum - Sarah Fine

OhMyGawd.
This book has reduced me to a total fangirl, even though it has been a few weeks since I've read it. How do I talk about a book that has totally blown my mind. All the pieces of my poor brain are scattered. I am a zombie.
description
So. Umm. This book happens to be flawless. It has excellent world building (that's saying something, I don't focus on that stuff most of the time). The author described the Shadowlands so well I had no problem what so ever visualizing them. I think one of the better things about the setting is the author doesn't use hell as a setting she uses another place that doesn't tie to any specific religion. That way there is no discrimination. It annoys me how in so many books the world building on hell and heaven is based on what the Bible says yet everyone believes in a heaven and hell and every belief has one, then why focus on how it is viewed in one religion but not the others?
I was glad when this was not the case in this book.
The characters. HOW DO I DO THIS? HOW DO I EXPLAIN HOW GREAT THE CHARACTERS WERE? Somethings cannot be put into words. Lela is such an interesting character. She loves her friend so much.
"By my second day at Warwick High School, if you’d told me I would choose to go to hell for its queen bee, I might have believed you."
In so many books, friends seem like a prop, something to convey the humanity of a character but they don't drive the story. They don't serve a lot of purpose except someone to confide in perhaps or giving the main character something to worry about.
Their friendship is the driving force of this story. Lela went to "hell" for her friend because she didn't think Lela deserved that. (of course she isn't crazy enough to actuallykill herself for her friend, she died by accident)
Malachi is one of the best things that ever happened to me. OMG. For 4 weeks I've been fangirling over him. I will continue to do so for a while because characters like him are so DAMN rare. I've read the ending over and over again like a 100 times because of Malachi. He is your bad ass killer who isn't a jerk face. He doesn't stop being a jerk because he fell in love because he ISN'T one. He has had terrible things happened to him and becoming the leader of the guard didn't made him numb. What Lela did was make him feel alive again (yes I see how cliched that sounds, you are going to need to read the book to appreciate Malachi's character).
"After a few more seconds, he released his grip and smiled in an amiable, I-could-kill-you-with-one-hand sort of way.